To James Madison
Monticello June 15. 15.
However firm my resolution has been not to torment the government, nor be harrassed my self with sollicitations for office, cases will now and then arise which cannot be denied. Charles Jouett formerly of this neighborhood, was appointed by Genl Dearborne an Indian agent. this was on the sollicitations of W. C. Nicholas, mr Carr & every respectable person of this neighborhood, and indeed from my own knolege of him. he is a man of sound good sense, prudence, perfect integrity and a zealous republican. Dearborne I know considered him, on trial to be the honestest and best agent in the Indian department; and he had great influence over the Indians of his department. he thinks he was shuffled by Eustis into a resignation of his office. he is poor, has married some time ago a French girl as poor as himself, and now sollicits to return again to the same or any other employment which will give him bread. I should not fear answering for his execution of any trust with fidelity and ability, were there an opening for him. but if there be not, without injustice to others, he must submit to it, as his misfortune.—Monroe is with us, and his daughter mrs Hay extremely ill.—Bonaparte, unprincipled as he is, is at length placed in a situation to claim all our prayers against the enterprises meditated on the independance of his nation. ever and affectionately yours
RC (CtSoP, on deposit CtY); at foot of text: “The President of the US.”; endorsed by Madison. PoC (DLC); torn at seal; on verso of reused address cover of John Barnes to TJ, 25 Apr. 1815; endorsed by TJ.
Peter carr had recommended that Jouett be appointed governor of the new territory of Michigan (Carr to John Wayles Eppes, 8 Feb. 1805 [DNA: RG 59, LAR, 1801–09]).
- Carr, Peter (1770–1815) (TJ’s nephew); recommends C. Jouett search
- Dearborn, Henry; as secretary of war search
- Eustis, William; as secretary of war search
- Hay, Eliza Monroe (George Hay’s wife); illness of search
- Indians, American; agents for search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Correspondence; letters of application and recommendation from search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Opinions on; Napoleon search
- Jouett, Charles; as Indian agent search
- Jouett, Charles; seeks appointment search
- Jouett, Charles; TJ recommends search
- Jouett, Charles; wife of search
- Madison, James (1751–1836); letters to search
- Monroe, James; visits Highland estate search
- Napoleon I, emperor of France; TJ on search
- Nicholas, Wilson Cary (1761–1820); recommends C. Jouett search
- patronage; letters of application and recommendation from TJ search