To Archibald Robertson
Poplar Forest May 27. 15.
I had to pay in this neighborhood a sum of between 13. and 1400 D. and came prepared to do it with Treasury bills; but the creditor refuses to recieve them without a discount of 3. per cent; this neither my principles as a citizen, nor my opinion of the comparative solidity of Treasury & bank bills permit me to yield to. I am informed there is a probability that there may be merchants in Lynchburg who would exchange for the Treasury bills at par, as being convenient for remittance to the North where our state bank bills will not be recieved, and I1 have presumed on your goodness that you would make this enquiry for me and let me know by the return of the bearer whether it can be done. if it can, I will send mr Goodman tomorrow morning with the Treasury bills & to recieve the others, the person for whom they are intended proposing to set out on a journey the next day. the bearer will await and bring me the result of your enquiry. accept the assurance of my esteem and respect
PoC (ViU: TJP); at foot of text: “Mr Robertson”; endorsed by TJ.
On 29 May 1815 TJ paid the sum of $1,393.11 due on two notes he had given to his former overseer Burgess Griffin, which were now held by Bedford County resident John Watts, the creditor (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1282, 1309; TJ to Watts, 28 May 1815).
1. Manuscript: “I I.”
- banks; currency issued by search
- currency; exchange of search
- Goodman, Jeremiah Augustus; as Poplar Forest overseer search
- Griffin, Burgess; TJ’s debt to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; debt to B. Griffin search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; payments to J. Watts search
- Lynchburg, Va.; currency exchange at search
- merchants; and bills of exchange search
- Robertson, Archibald; agent for TJ search
- Robertson, Archibald; letters to search
- Treasury Department, U.S.; treasury notes search
- Watts, John; and settlement of TJ’s accounts search