To Thomas T. Tucker
Monticello May 12. 15.
In compliance with the request of your letter of Apr. 28 I now acknolege the reciept of 8580. Dollars in treasury notes from the Commissioner of loans in Richmond; that I have also recieved mr Barnes’s acknolegement of his receipt at Washington of 4,860. Dollars in Treasury notes, & 10.D in other paper for which I had given him an order. I am not informed of mr Short’s reciept of the 10,500. Dollars for which he had an order, but I presume he has furnished it to you himself, and thus closed the paiment of the whole sum of 23,950 th[e a]mount of the appropriation for the purchase of my library. [Ac]cept the assurance of my great esteem & respect.
PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover from William W. Hening to TJ; torn at seal; at foot of text: “Thomas T. Tucker esq.”; endorsed by TJ.
- Barnes, John; TJ pays search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and payment for library search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; debt to W. Short search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; payments to J. Barnes search
- Library of Congress; payment for TJ’s library search
- Nelson, Thomas; as loan commissioner search
- Short, William; TJ’s debt to search
- Treasury Department, U.S.; treasury notes search
- Tucker, Thomas Tudor; letter to search
- Tucker, Thomas Tudor; pays TJ for his library search