To Nicolas G. Dufief
Monticello April 24. 15.
Having occasion to make you a remittance in August last, I took the liberty of embodying with it certain sums which I owed to others in Philadelphia, and of asking the favor of you to pay them to the persons on their application. among these was a sum of 15.D. for the editor of the Aurora for 3. years of that paper. I have lately recieved his account by which it would seem either that he has not applied to you for the money, or has failed to give me credit for it. will you have the goodness to inform me on this subject? in your catalogue of 1811. pages 9. 15. & 18. I see three books noted, which if still on hand I shall be glad to recieve.
Dictionnaire Espagnol et Français de Cormon. 2. v. 8vo
La Sagesse par Charron. 8vo
Correspondence de Fernand Cortez avec Charles V. 12mo
I shall be glad at the same time to recieve the state of my account the amount of which shall be remitted without delay. I salute you with great esteem and respect.
|P.S.||in the same Catalogue pa. 32. I see Taylor’s Demosthenes the edition of Cambridge Gr. Lat. 2. v. 8vo. is it still on hand? and what would be it’s price?|
PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover to TJ; adjacent to signature: “M. Dufief”; endorsed by TJ.
editor William Duane’s account appeared on an undated, printed form that listed the respective “Terms of Subscription” in one column, all payable in advance: the “Aurora, published daily” at $9, $5, and $3 for twelve, six, and three months; the “Country Aurora, published three times a week” at $5 and $3 for twelve and six months; and the “Weekly Aurora, published every Tuesday” at $3 and $2 for twelve and six months. It also announced the “Terms of Advertising” in a second column: 50 cents “per square each insertion in both City and Country papers”; 25 cents “per square each insertion after the first, in the City paper only”; and “All advertisements appear the first insertion in both papers.” Beneath these columns a line indicated that TJ owed $15 for a “subscription to the Country Aurora, from 1 May 1812, to May 1815” (printed form in DLC: TJ Papers, 204:36296; undated; with blanks filled by an unidentified hand; endorsement by TJ [trimmed]: “[Newspapers?] Duane Wm”; with TJ’s Notes on Newspaper Subscriptions, [ca. 23 Aug. 1817], on verso beneath endorsement).
- Aurora (Philadelphia newspaper); TJ’s subscription to search
- books; dictionaries search
- books; of correspondence search
- Charron, Pierre; De La Sagesse search
- Cormon, Jacques Louis Barthélemi; Dictionnaire portatif et de prononciation, Espagnol-Français et Français-Espagnol search
- Correspondance de Fernand Cortès avec l’empereur Charles-Quint (trans. Flavigny) search
- Cortés, Hernán; correspondence of search
- De La Sagesse (P. Charron) search
- Demosthenes; J. Taylor’s edition of search
- Dictionnaire portatif et de prononciation, Espagnol-Français et Français-Espagnol (J. L. B. Cormon) search
- Duane, William; TJ’s account with search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; account with TJ search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; letters to search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; sends book catalogues search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; TJ orders books from search
- Flavigny, Gratien Jean Baptiste Louis, vicomte de; translates Correspondance de Fernand Cortès avec l’empereur Charles-Quint search
- French language; dictionaries search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; orders books search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; subscriptions search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with N. G. Dufief search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with W. Duane search
- newspapers; Philadelphia Aurora search
- newspapers; subscriptions to, by TJ search
- Philadelphia; Aurora search
- religion; works on search
- subscriptions, for publications; newspapers search
- Taylor, John (classical scholar); edits works of Demosthenes search