To Joseph Delaplaine
Monticello Apr. 24. 15.
Occupations from which it was impossible to withdraw have occasioned the delay of acknoleging the receipt of your letter of Mar. 29. on the subject of my portrait in the hands of mr Stewart. I considered the delay as less important inasmuch as I could not avail my self of the opportunity you proposed of obtaining the portrait. I am unwilling to press mr Stewart unkindly to the delivery of it whenever his views respecting it are answered, I have no doubt he will attend to the justice of it’s delivery to me. with my regrets therefore that I cannot procure you the use of it, accept the assurance of my esteem & respect.
PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover to TJ; at foot of text: “Mr Delaplaine”; endorsed by TJ.
- Delaplaine, Joseph; and portraits of TJ by G. Stuart search
- Delaplaine, Joseph; Delaplaine’s Repository search
- Delaplaine, Joseph; letters to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Portraits; G. Stuart’s paintings search
- Repository of the Lives and Portraits of Distinguished Americans (J. Delaplaine) search
- Stuart, Gilbert; portraits of TJ by search
- Stuart, Gilbert; TJ on search