To Patrick Gibson
Monticello Jan. 7. 14. 
On the 31st Ult. I asked the favor of you to inclose me by mail 100.D. which I presume to be now on the way. in the mean time another call has come on me which obliges me to draw on you in favor of my grandson Th: J. Randolph for 120.D. I shall have one more of about the same amount in the course of this month which will I believe close my wants until the spring by which time my flour & tobo may be down, and perhaps disposed of. before that time I hope we may hear that the British do not think their prospect of obtaining a slice of the province of Maine worth the continuance of the war, for that I believe is the only article which at present both parties have not agreed to. Accept the assurance of my great esteem & respect.
PoC (ViU: TJP); on verso of reused address cover of Alexander J. Dallas to TJ, 14 Dec. 1814; misdated; at foot of text: “Mr Gibson”; endorsed by TJ as a letter of 7 Jan. 1815 and so recorded in SJL.
On the following day Thomas Jefferson randolph repaid TJ “for the sd draught 120.D.” (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1306).
SJL records a missing letter from TJ to Gibson of 8 Jan. 1815, which presumably covered a signed note authorizing the renewal of his loan at the Bank of Virginia (see Gibson to TJ, 3 Jan. 1815).
- Bank of Virginia (Richmond); TJ’s loan from search
- currency; sent to TJ search
- flour; transported to Richmond search
- Ghent; peace negotiations at search
- Gibson, Patrick; and currency for TJ search
- Gibson, Patrick; and TJ’s bank note from Bank of Virginia search
- Gibson, Patrick; letters to search
- Gibson, Patrick; letters to accounted for search
- Gibson, Patrick; payments made for TJ search
- Great Britain; peace with search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; loan from Bank of Virginia search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; payments to T. J. Randolph search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Family & Friends; relations with grandchildren search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Opinions on; peace with Great Britain search
- Maine; British claims to portion of search
- Randolph, Thomas Jefferson (TJ’s grandson; Jane Hollins Nicholas Randolph’s husband); pays TJ search
- Randolph, Thomas Jefferson (TJ’s grandson; Jane Hollins Nicholas Randolph’s husband); TJ’s payments to search
- Richmond, Va.; flour shipped to search
- Richmond, Va.; tobacco shipped to search
- tobacco; transported to Richmond search
- War of1812; and peace negotiations search