To Philip Thornton
Monticello Dec. 3. 14.
In the evening of the day on which you left me, I recieved a letter of Nov. 22. from mr Caruthers, desiring a conclusion on his proposition to lease the Natural bridge. you know how sincerely I had meant to give him a preference as the first applicant, & the circumstances which induced me to suppose he had declined it, and therefore to execute the lease to you. I have explained these to him and referred to you for their confirmation; and am in hopes that by the partnership you suggested, his views may be answered, & especially as he could no otherwise procure the material for a separate concern.
I had paid to mr Wilson sheriff of Rockbridge, the taxes for 1811. and 1812. those for 13–14. are I believe unpaid. they were about 67. cents a year, and I will request you to pay them now & at all times during the lease, on my account. mr Bankhead & family arrived the afternoon you left us, having left Dr Bankhead & family well. Accept the assurance of my great esteem & respect.
PoC (MHi); at foot of text: “Dr Thornton”; endorsed by TJ.
On 21 Oct. 1812 TJ paid John Wilson, the sheriff of Rockbridge County, “2.D. being 3 years taxes for my lands at the Natural bridge, to wit for the years 1811. 1812. & the next year 1813. He says he recieved them up to 1810. inclusive from Mr. Caruthers” (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1283).
- Bankhead, Charles Lewis (Ann Cary Randolph Bankhead’s husband); visits J. Bankhead search
- Bankhead, John; family of search
- Bankhead, John; health of search
- Caruthers, William; and Natural Bridge search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and lease of Natural Bridge search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; pays taxes search
- Monticello (TJ’s estate); Visitors to; Thornton, Philip search
- Natural Bridge, Va.; lease of search
- Natural Bridge, Va.; taxes on search
- taxes; on Natural Bridge search
- taxes; TJ pays search
- Thornton, Philip; leases Natural Bridge from TJ search
- Thornton, Philip; letters to search
- Thornton, Philip; visits Monticello search
- Wilson, John (of Rockbridge Co.); as sheriff search