To William F. Gray
Monticello Oct. 25. 14
I thank you for the kind letter recieved of Oct. 14. before the reciept of that I had taken the liberty of sending a package of books to mr Millegan addressed to your care, which I had done on the authority of his assurance that you would be so kind as to see that they were forwarded. in a letter to me of the 12th he mentions having forwarded a package to me, which I presume is some where on the way—all charges of transportation of things for me to Milton will be paid to the Stage-driver by mr Higgenbotham at that place. mr Millegan will pay those to Georgetown. should there however happen to be occasion at any time for any payment at Fredericksbg, on a note from you of the amount it shall always be rep[aid] by return of mail. Accept the assurance of my thankf[ulness] and respect.
PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover to TJ; mutilated at seal; at foot of text: “Mr Wm F. Gray”; endorsed by TJ.
A letter from Gray to TJ of 13 Apr. 1815, not found, is recorded in SJL as received 19 Apr. 1815 from Fredericksburg.
- books; sent by J. Milligan search
- Gray, William Fairfax; and transmission of packages to and from TJ search
- Gray, William Fairfax; letters from accounted for search
- Gray, William Fairfax; letters to search
- Higginbotham, David; and payments made for TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; sends books search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; works sent to search
- Milligan, Joseph; and transmission of packages to and from TJ search
- Milligan, Joseph; sends books to TJ search