To Augustus B. Woodward
Monticello Aug. 17. 14.
Th: Jefferson presents his compliments to Judge Woodward and his thanks for the volume containing the defence of Eugene Arum. there is in it an Exordium of some length which he had never seen before. he presents him1 also the thanks of the younger members of his family for the volumes he was so kind as to send them, and salutes him with esteem and respect.
PoC (DLC); dateline at foot of text; on reused address cover to TJ; endorsed by TJ.
1. Manuscript: “hims.”
- Aram, Eugene; Defense at his Trial for Murder search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; receives books search
- The Criminal Recorder search
- Woodward, Augustus Elias Brevoort; letters to search
- Woodward, Augustus Elias Brevoort; sends books for TJ’s family search
- Woodward, Augustus Elias Brevoort; sends book to TJ search