From John Barnes
Geo[rge] Town Coa 16th Augst 1814.
In making my Arangemts for the 1st paymt to the loan 25th May for $2500. I was Necessitated,1 to procure a disct for $1480—and now find—my self deficient nearly—$1000—(exclusive of your expected $360—) to be provided for, against 25h Instant, when the 4th and last paymt is to be made for $2500—soon as you can make it convenient—to remit me—will be very Acceptable—the times are become—so very pressing, that the Banks—thro. Necessity—are Obliged—to curtail their disct and former endorsing—friends (unless an Accomodating One) will not even lend you his Name—much less his purse—whose strings are drawn titer and titer, as the times presses on him—is readily to be Accounted for—the Natural effects of War, and its distressing Consequences—
We begin to Assume a Confidence of Defence—against any Attempts that may be made upon the Capitol—and worthy possesors—though I could never suppose, the Madness of the Enemy—ever had it, in their serious Contemplation—but to excite the fears and jealousies—of the weake and diseffected—still, it is proper, to be prepared—for the worse, that might happen, and thereby quiet the Minds of the people—in general,—to prevent a Repetition of the Ravages daily made on individuals—Considering the deversity of their defenseless situations, it is impossible for Govermt to Afford them that effectual aid, they severally stand in Need Off—to remove their Slaves—Stock &ca &c—to the interior part of the Country—and to avail themselves of a more favorable Season for their returns—is, the only sure mode, of preserving the sad Remains of their property—and many of the late sufferers—are endeavouring to affect so desirable a purpose
RC (ViU: TJP-ER); torn; at foot of text: “Thomas Jefferson Esqr Monticello”; endorsed by TJ as received 19 Aug. 1814 and so recorded in SJL.
1. Manuscript: “Necessiated.”
- banks; distressed situation of search
- Barnes, John; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Barnes, John; handles financial transactions search
- Barnes, John; letters from search
- Barnes, John; on defense of Washington search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; and J. Barnes search
- War of1812; and economy search
- Washington (D.C.); defenses of search
- Washington (D.C.); threatened by British forces search