To Patrick Gibson
Monticello Aug. 15. 14.
Mr Johnson going down with his boat gives me an opportunity of getting a bale of cotton brought up, which I will ask the favor of you to procure for me, say of 3. or 400. weight. your favor of Aug. 4. is recieved, and lightens my anxieties. I now return the note for the bank, signed, but left blank to be filled by yourself according to circumstances. 1500.D. additional is about the sum which would answer my calls. the remittances to Philadelphia, & perhaps that to mr Barnes & some trifles here are the only ones for which I will avail myself of your permission to draw in the mean time. on those to Philadelphia I will write to you more specially by post. Accept the assurance of my great esteem and respect.
P.S. on reflection I withold the note for the bank thinking it will go more safely in my letter by post.
PoC (NHi: Thomas Jefferson Papers); above postscript: “Mr Gibson”; endorsed by TJ.
On 13 Aug. 1814 TJ recorded that he had drawn on Gibson & Jefferson in favor of William johnson “for 7.D. for bringing up fish &c. and the additional price of bringing up mould boards should he get them.” TJ was awaiting the delivery of plow moldboards from John Staples (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1301–2; TJ to Staples, 4 May 1814). Gibson’s favor of aug. 4., not found, is recorded in SJL as received 9 Aug. 1814 from Richmond.
- Bank of Virginia (Richmond); TJ’s loan from search
- Barnes, John; TJ pays search
- cotton; purchased by TJ search
- fish; TJ purchases search
- Gibson, Patrick; and TJ’s bank note search
- Gibson, Patrick; letters from accounted for search
- Gibson, Patrick; letters to search
- Gibson, Patrick; payments made for TJ search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); payments made for TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; loan from Bank of Virginia search
- Johnson, William (waterman); transports goods from Richmond search
- plows.; TJ orders search
- Staples, John; and plow moldboards for TJ search