From Joseph Delaplaine
Philada June 19h 1814
I have been favoured with your very obliging and satisfactory letter respecting the portraits of Columbus & Americus Vespusius; and shall avail myself of your kind offer whenever an opportunity offers.
I have taken the liberty to mention your name in the prospectus enclosed, & hope it will meet your approbation.—
Mr Madison, & the different heads of departments have given me their names as patrons to this work, which occupies my exclusive means & attention. Many other distinguished men of our country approbate the plan & have patronized the undertaking, and I cherish a hope that your patronage will not be wanting; not so much from the pecuniary consideration of it, as from its respectability. An individual subscription, in a pecuniary point of view cannot at any time be of any consequence.
|P. S.||Your portrait will appear in the first volume but I should prefer Stuart’s portrait of you to that of Mr Peale: How I am to manage this I cannot tell, if Mr Stuart will refuse to lend me the portrait I mean the original one.|
RC (DLC); addressed: “Thomas Jefferson Esquire Monticello Virginia”; postmarked Philadelphia, 19 June; endorsed by TJ as received 26 June 1814 and so recorded in SJL.
A newspaper version of the enclosed prospectus for Delaplaine’s Repository description begins Delaplaine’s Repository of the Lives and Portraits of Distinguished Americans, Philadelphia, 1816–18, 2 vols.; Poor, Jefferson’s Library, 4 (no. 139) description ends highlighted TJ’s role in providing access to portraits of “Columbus and Americus Vespusius” and reported that the “prompt compliance of Mr. Jefferson in giving every facility to meet the views of the publisher, will enable him to render additional value to this publication” (Wilmington Delaware Gazette, 30 June 1814). In most other respects the prospectus closely followed the earlier version described in note to Delaplaine to TJ, 16 Apr. 1814.
- Columbus, Christopher; and portrait for J. Delaplaine’s Repository search
- Delaplaine, Joseph; and portraits of TJ by G. Stuart search
- Delaplaine, Joseph; Delaplaine’s Repository search
- Delaplaine, Joseph; letters from search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Portraits; G. Stuart’s paintings search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Portraits; R. Peale’s painting search
- Madison, James; and J. Delaplaine’s Repository search
- Peale, Rembrandt; portrait of TJ search
- Repository of the Lives and Portraits of Distinguished Americans (J. Delaplaine) search
- Stuart, Gilbert; portraits of TJ by search
- Vespucci, Amerigo (Americus Vespucius); portrait of search