To Craven Peyton
Monticello May 10. 14.
Mr Rosson is finishing a carriage for me and has not a pair of handles left. but he has the fellow to one which he lately put to your carriage. if you can accept of the one now sent and which he says is much superior to the one you have, and can let me have that, I shall then be able to get my carriage finished for which I am waiting to set out to Bedford. I shall be thankful to you for the accomodation, and I send the new handle by my workman who is able to put it on for you.
I [ho]pe you recieved in time the letter I lodged for you [. . .]day at the post office. Accept the assurance of [my esteem?] & respect.
PoC (MHi); corner torn; at foot of text: “[. . .]yton”; endorsed by TJ as a letter to Craven Peyton and so recorded in SJL.
- carriages; built by E. Rosson search
- carriages; handles for search
- household articles; carriage handles search
- Peyton, Craven; and handles for TJ’s carriage search
- Peyton, Craven; letters to search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); TJ plans visit to search
- Rosson, Elijah; works on TJ’s landau search