To Jeremiah A. Goodman
Monticello Feb. 3. 14.
Your letter of the 27th Jan. came to hand last night, and this morning I have written to mr Gibson to inclose to you 30.D. by the mail to Lynchburg. he will recieve my letter on Monday next, the 7th and by the first mail leaving Richmond after that it will be at Lynchburg, which w[ill] [prob]a[b]l[y] [be] before you recieve this letter. let the clover be sown about the 1[. . .] of March, and if the earth has no crust on the top, the first rain will cover it sufficiently, without drawing a bush over it. clover sown at that time is pretty much out of danger of being injured by frost, and will get so strong before the heats set in as not to be hurt by them. I am glad to hear of your progress on the [r]oad, & hope when I come up it will be ready to be recieved by [. . .]t. not a dust of my flour is sold as yet. Acce[p]t my best [. . .]
P.S. if my tobacco is not already engaged, send it off to Richmond, where the tobacco of this neighborhood sells for 9.D. and if that is well handled [I h]ave no fear of getting as much. in that case it is not to be inspected at Lynchburg. I should be glad the beef should start from Poplar forest the 1st of March if fat enough. Gill & his waggon must come with it, and he will return with a load of some things for the house at Poplar forest. with respect to salt for the people it has got to so exorbitant a price that I have been obliged to allowance my people here to a pint apeice a month for the grown people & half a pint for every child. and the same must be done at the fore[st.] I am told the assembly has laid a tax on all dogs over two at every planta[t]ion. I am not yet sure of the fact, but if it be true, every dog over that number at each plantation must be killed as soon as it is ascertained. you will know from the members when they return home or from the newspapers.
RC (ViCMRL, on deposit ViU: TJP); torn at folds and damaged at seal; addressed: “Mr Jeremiah A. Goodman Poplar Forest near Lynchburg”; franked; postmarked Charlottesville, 9 Feb.
Goodman’s letter of the 27th jan., not found, is recorded in SJL as received 2 Feb. from Poplar Forest. SJL also records a missing letter from Goodman to TJ of 5 Mar. 1814, received 9 Mar. from Poplar Forest, and missing letters from TJ to Goodman of 11 Mar. and 16 Apr. 1814. TJ’s letter of this morning to Patrick gibson, was located after print publication of this volume, has been added digitally, and will appear in the concluding supplement to the print edition..
The Virginia General Assembly passed a tax on dogs on 26 Jan. 1814, but Albemarle and Bedford were among the counties exempted from the legislation (Acts of Assembly description begins Acts of the General Assembly of Virginia (cited by session; title varies over time) description ends , 1813–14 sess., 55–6).
- cattle; at Poplar Forest search
- cattle; transportation of search
- children; slave search
- clover; as crop search
- crops; clover search
- dogs; bill for taxing search
- flour; sale of search
- food; salt search
- Gibson, Patrick; letters to accounted for search
- Gillette, Gill (TJ’s slave; b.1792); as wagoner search
- Goodman, Jeremiah Augustus; letters from accounted for search
- Goodman, Jeremiah Augustus; letters to search
- Goodman, Jeremiah Augustus; letters to accounted for search
- Goodman, Jeremiah Augustus; Poplar Forest overseer search
- Goodman, Jeremiah Augustus; TJ pays search
- overseers; at Poplar Forest search
- overseers; TJ’s instructions to search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); cattle at search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); clover grown at search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); dogs at search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); Overseers at; send tobacco to Richmond search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); Overseers at; TJ’s instructions to search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); roads search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); tobacco grown at search
- Richmond, Va.; tobacco prices at search
- roads; at Poplar Forest search
- salt; given to slaves search
- salt; price of search
- slaves; salt for search
- taxes; on dogs search
- tobacco; grown at Poplar Forest search
- tobacco; inspection of search
- tobacco; price of in Richmond search
- tobacco; sale of search