From Mathew Carey
Philada Jan. 26. 1814.
By this day’s mail, I take the liberty of forwarding you a copy of the second Edition of the Naval History, for which I request a place in your Library, as a mark of the esteem & respect of
RC (MHi); dateline at foot of text; at head of text: “His Excellency Thomas Jefferson, Esqr”; endorsed by TJ as received 4 Feb. 1814 and so recorded in SJL. Enclosure: Thomas Clark, Naval History of the United States, from the Commencement of the Revolutionary War to the Present Time, 2d ed., 2 vols. (Philadelphia, 1814; Sowerby, description begins E. Millicent Sowerby, comp., Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Jefferson, 1952–59, 5 vols. description ends no. 531; Poor, Jefferson’s Library description begins Nathaniel P. Poor, Catalogue. President Jefferson’s Library, 1829 description ends , 4 [no. 142]).
- books; on history search
- Carey, Mathew; and T. Clark’s Naval History of the United States search
- Carey, Mathew; letters from search
- Clark, Thomas; Naval History of the United States search
- history; books on search
- history; naval search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; works sent to search
- Naval History of the United States (T. Clark) search