From John Barnes
George Town, 12th Decr 1813.
Inclosed, you recive Mr Williams Letter to me, of the 9th recd the 15th Ulto—and such is the State of Affairs respecting a Remittance to be made Genl K, that how, to govern my self I am at a loss to know—unless, Mr Williams politeness will permit him (without—a positive Order—from the House of Morton & Russell of Borodeau)1 to value himself upon them, per set of Exchange in my favr and my remitting him2 the Amt, at Currt exchange, which I much fear, he will not consent to. my only hope is—in Mr Russells—Arrival or some other advices—may impower Mr Williams to Act, with effect.—
I am Dear Sir, mst Respectfully
PS. the within, has been detained—four days—expecting the good Colo to call on me before he left Town
his impatience to hasten to Monticello I do—most readily excuse
RC (ViU: TJP-ER); adjacent to full signature: “Thos Jefferson Esqr Montecillo”; endorsed by TJ as a letter of “Dec. 12. & 16. 1813” received 20 Dec. 1813, but recorded in SJL as received 24 Dec. 1813. Enclosure not found.
genl k: Tadeusz Kosciuszko. colo Thomas Mann Randolph, who had recently participated in the fatiguing & hazardous, but ultimately unsuccessful American attempt to capture Montreal, received a furlough and began his journey home from upstate New York by 20 Nov. 1813. Having passed through Albany, New York City, and Philadelphia, he reached Georgetown by 11 Dec. and arrived in Albemarle County shortly thereafter (Gaines, Randolph description begins William H. Gaines Jr., Thomas Mann Randolph: Jefferson’s Son-in-Law, 1966 description ends , 85–92; James Wilkinson to Randolph, 19 Nov. 1813 [MHi]; Edward B. Randolph to Randolph, 20 Nov. 1813 [MHi]; Randolph to James Madison, 11 Dec. 1813 [DLC: Madison Papers]).
1. Omitted closing parenthesis editorially supplied.
2. Word interlined.
- Barnes, John; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Barnes, John; letters from search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; remittances to search
- Morton & Russell (Bordeaux firm) search
- Randolph, Martha Jefferson (Patsy; TJ’s daughter; Thomas Mann Randolph’s wife); greetings to search
- Randolph, Thomas Mann (1768–1828) (TJ’s son-in-law; Martha Jefferson Randolph’s husband); military service of search
- Russell, Mr. (of Morton & Russell) search
- Williams, George; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search