From Joseph C. Cabell
Richmond. Decr 8th 1813.
I expected when I wrote you from Williamsburg, that my Servant would have come up with me from that place on the 5th inst; but one of my horses being unavoidably detained, I was compelled to leave him behind; & was consequently disappointed, for the moment, in sending him on with your books. I was only waiting for his arrival, when to-day, I fell in with Genl Moore, who told me he should set out in the Charlottesville stage, in the morning, for the place of his residence, & politely consented to take charge of the packet, & to deliver it to Doct: Carr on his way thro’ that place. I hope it will reach you in a few days. I return you my grateful acknowledgements for the use of the book for so great a length of time.
We have just formed the two houses, & are proceeding to business. I think Governor Barber will be reelected without opposition: notwithstanding the great discontents which have prevailed in many parts of the state.
I shall seek the earliest oppertunity of conferring with Doct Everett & mr Garth relative to the petition of the Rivanna River company. As yet we are scarcely placed in our respective lodgings. I expect to see them in the morning.
I am, dr Sir, with high esteem & respect
Joseph C. Cabell.
RC (ViU: TJP-PC); endorsed by TJ. Recorded in SJL as received 13 Dec. 1813.
The two houses of the Virginia General Assembly came to order on 6 Dec. 1813, with Charles Everette and Jesse Winston garth representing Albemarle County in the House of Delegates (Leonard, General Assembly description begins Cynthia Miller Leonard, comp., The General Assembly of Virginia, July 30, 1619–January 11, 1978: A Bicentennial Register of Members, 1978 description ends , 273).
- Barbour, James; as governor of Va. search
- Cabell, Joseph Carrington; and Rivanna Company search
- Cabell, Joseph Carrington; as Va. state senator search
- Cabell, Joseph Carrington; letters from search
- Carr, Frank; and package for TJ search
- Everette, Charles; and bill regarding the Rivanna Company search
- Garth, Jesse Winston; and Rivanna Company search
- Moore, Andrew; and package for TJ search
- Rivanna Company; bill regarding search
- Virginia; General Assembly search
- Virginia; House of Delegates search