From Thomas Lehré
Charleston Nov: 23d 1813
I have taken the Liberty of sending you a paper, which contains a sketch of the life & Character of the late Peter Freneau Esqr—His name will be long revered and remembered by your Political friends in this State. I congratulate you and our Country [on]1 the brilliant successes2 of our arms both by sea and by Land—They have contributed to make the war very popular, and to defeat the machinations of the enemies of the present administration. I remain with the highest considerations
RC (DLC); at foot of text: “Thomas Jefferson late President U.S. Monticello Virginia”; endorsed by TJ as received 13 Dec. 1813 and so recorded in SJL.
The enclosed sketch of the life & character of the late peter freneau was printed this day in the Charleston City Gazette and Commercial Daily Advertiser.
1. Lehré here canceled “on,” which is restored editorially to enhance readability.
2. Manuscript: “succcesses.”
- City Gazette and Commercial Daily Advertiser (Charleston, S.C., newspaper) search
- Freneau, Peter; newspaper pieces about search
- Lehré, Thomas; and P. Freneau search
- Lehré, Thomas; letters from search
- Lehré, Thomas; on War of1812 search
- newspapers; Charleston City Gazette and Commercial Daily Advertiser search
- Republican party; in S.C. search
- South Carolina; Republicans in search
- War of1812; support for search