From Thomas Lehré
Charleston Novr 11th 1813
I am sorry to inform you that the great Patriot Peter Freneau Esqr, of this City, departed this life on Monday last.
In him our Country has lost one of its firmest and best friends—He continued to his last moments, one of your greatest friends, and admirers. The Republican Party here will most sensibly feel his loss.
The enclosed paper will give you but a faint Idea of the high estimation in which he was held by his fellow Citizens here.
That you may continue to enjoy health,1 a long life, and every other blessing this life affords, is the most fervent wish, of
RC (DLC); at foot of text: “Thomas Jefferson late President U.S. Montacello”; endorsed by TJ as received 20 Nov. 1813 and so recorded in SJL.
peter freneau, a dedicated Republican, was the brother of the poet Philip Freneau and a political ally of Charles Pinckney. In 1809 TJ appointed him federal commissioner of loans for South Carolina. Freneau is best known as the longtime publisher of two Charleston newspapers, the City Gazette and Commercial Daily Advertiser and the Carolina Gazette (PTJ description begins Julian P. Boyd, Charles T. Cullen, John Catanzariti, Barbara B. Oberg, and others, eds., The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, 1950– , 34 vols. description ends , 32:266; JEP description begins Journal of the Executive Proceedings of the Senate of the United States description ends , 2:110, 111 [17, 18 Feb. 1809]; Brigham, American Newspapers description begins Clarence S. Brigham, History and Bibliography of American Newspapers, 1690–1820, 1947, 2 vols. description ends , 2:1415). The enclosed paper was probably a copy of the effusive obituary of Freneau that appeared this day in the City Gazette.
1. Manuscript: “heath.”
2. Manuscript: “Obedent.”
- Charleston, S.C.; Republicans in search
- City Gazette and Commercial Daily Advertiser (Charleston, S.C., newspaper) search
- Freneau, Peter; death of search
- Freneau, Peter; described search
- Freneau, Peter; newspaper pieces about search
- Lehré, Thomas; and P. Freneau search
- Lehré, Thomas; letters from search
- newspapers; Charleston City Gazette and Commercial Daily Advertiser search
- Republican party; in S.C. search
- South Carolina; Republicans in search