From James Monroe
Washington Novr 3d 1813.
I receivd lately the enclosed letter from ch: Carter in which he proposes to submit the question between mr Short and me, relating to the boundary of the land purchasd of him, to your decision. I most willingly accede to the proposition, and hope that you will undertake it. It will take you a mornings ride, thro’ some rough ground, with a guide, which you may easily procure. You have all the other lights necessary in the case.
We have nothing new from Europe respecting our own particular concerns. nothing from our Envoys directly, or of them, more than what you see in the news papers. mr Crawford’s notification of his arrival was acknowledged by the D. of Bassano, in very respectful terms, but there the business rests. Wilkinson is said to have mov’d towards Kingston, & there is a report of a canonade being heard at a distance, which is probable, as it also is, that we shall dislodge them of all the country above Montreal in which city, it is hoped, that our troops will take their winter quarters:
My affairs particularly the change in their managment require my personal attention in albemarle, for which purpose, I contemplate, making a visit there soon, if possible.
RC (DLC); edge frayed; endorsed by TJ as received 13 Dec. 1813 and so recorded in SJL. Enclosure not found. Enclosed in Monroe to TJ, 23 Nov. 1813.
On 27 July 1813 American minister plenipotentiary William H. Crawford notified the French minister of foreign affairs, Hugues Bernard Maret, duc de bassano, of his arrival in Paris. Writing from Dresden five days later, Bassano acknowledged the receipt of Crawford’s message in very respectful terms (ASP description begins American State Papers: Documents, Legislative and Executive, of the Congress of the United States, 1832–61, 38 vols. description ends , Foreign Relations, 3:628; Connelly, Napoleonic France description begins Owen Connelly and others, eds., Historical Dictionary of Napoleonic France, 1799–1815, 1985 description ends , 324).
- Bassano, Hugues Bernard Maret, duc de search
- Carter, William Champe; and Highland–Indian Camp boundary dispute search
- Crawford, William Harris; minister plenipotentiary to France search
- Highland (J. Monroe’s Albemarle Co. estate); boundary dispute search
- Highland (J. Monroe’s Albemarle Co. estate); J. Monroe plans to visit search
- Indian Camp (W. Short’s Albemarle Co. estate); boundary dispute search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and Highland–Indian Camp boundary dispute search
- Monroe, James; and Highland–Indian Camp boundary dispute search
- Monroe, James; letters from search
- Monroe, James; plans to visit Highland estate search
- Short, William; and Indian Camp search