From James Cutbush
Philada Oct. 31st 1813.
The work you did me the honor to subscribe for, is nearly complete: the 1st vol. is finished, and the second, nearly So. I have collected, with much pains, a considerable quantity of American matter relative to the arts, manufactures, &c. and will, in a few days, send you a copy for your opinion. In the mean time I subscribe myself your friend & humble Servt
RC (DLC); adjacent to closing: “T. Jefferson Esq.”; endorsed by TJ as received 5 Nov. 1813 and so recorded in SJL.
TJ had subscribed to Cutbush’s work, The American Artist’s Manual, or Dictionary of Practical Knowledge, 2 vols. (Philadelphia, 1814; Poor, Jefferson’s Library description begins Nathaniel P. Poor, Catalogue. President Jefferson’s Library, 1829 description ends , 6 [no. 221]).
An undated letter from Cutbush to TJ, not found, is recorded in SJL as received 14 Dec. 1813.
- books; on art search
- Cutbush, James; letters from search
- Cutbush, James; letters from accounted for search
- Cutbush, James; The American Artist’s Manual search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; subscriptions search
- subscriptions, for publications; art search
- The American Artist’s Manual (J. Cutbush) search