From Thomas Voigt
Philad September 3d 1813
I Received yours of the 16th of July—and have sent according to your Orders a Gold Watch which I beleive to be a suitable one, and has bin Originally intended for a Lady, which is a plain, neat and verry Exquisite peace of workmanship, and am in hopes that it will meat your approbation—
The Gentleman,1 Mr Short, which was to give me directions about the Chane & Seal has Left this Citty and has gone to Boston, but have ventured to send such a Chane as our Ladyes ware in Phiad and I bleive nearly such as you discribe in your Letter,—there are no such Seals as you discribe, in Philad at presant,2 but verry probable I shall be able to procure one for you before Long, the Lapedary that formerly did that kind of work for Me has gone on to Pitsburg to the Glass Manufactory, and on that account I am [not]3 enabled to get one at presant—
I Shall be verry happy to transact any buisiness for you at any time in my Line—your Clock at the University performs Remarckaby well—
RC (MHi); dateline at foot of text; adjacent to closing: “Thos Jefferson”; endorsed by TJ as received 14 Sept. 1813 and so recorded in SJL.
TJ ordered a gold watch for his granddaughter Ellen Wayles Randolph (Coolidge) in a letter dated 30 July 1813, not the 16th of july. The astronomical case clock that Voigt had made for TJ was at this time (and would for several years remain) in the possession of Robert Patterson, a longtime professor of mathematics at the university of Pennsylvania (Patterson to TJ, 10 May 1809 [note], 25 Aug. 1815).
1. Manuscript: “Gentlemam.”
2. Manuscript: “peesant.”
3. Omitted word editorially supplied.
- clocks; TJ’s astronomical case clock search
- clocks; watch chain and seal search
- clocks; watches for TJ’s grandchildren search
- Coolidge, Ellen Wayles Randolph (TJ’s granddaughter); gold watch for search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Family & Friends; relations with grandchildren search
- Patterson, Robert; and astronomical case clock search
- Pittsburgh, Pa.; glass factory at search
- schools and colleges; University of Pennsylvania search
- Short, William; and watch chain and seal search
- Voigt, Thomas; and TJ’s astronomical case clock search
- Voigt, Thomas; and watch for E. W. Randolph (Coolidge) search
- Voigt, Thomas; letters from search