From John Hopkins
Philadelphia June 26. 1813
I have taken the liberty to request your Excellency, amongst other Patriots of the American Revolution, to patronize a work, which is intended to be a faithful narrative; of those interesting events.
It is presumed, that your Ex is acquainted, with many facts, & circumstances of that period; in which you bore, so splendid,1 & honourable a part; & which it would be important to know, & if it would not trespass too much upon your valuable time, to communicate them to me; I should deem it an especial favor. The work has already received 6.000 Subs, & it would particularly gratify me to add your Ex name, to the list. May the ruler of the universe, spare you here, to see a happy termination, to our just struggle; with the enemy of the human race, is the sincere wish of Your obt servt
RC (DLC); at foot of text: “His Ex, Thomas Jefferson”; endorsed by TJ as received 2 July 1813 and so recorded in SJL.
Hopkins hoped that TJ would patronize Paul Allen’s proposed work, A History of the American Revolution; comprehending All the Principal Events both in the Field and in the Cabinet, 2 vols. (Baltimore, 1819). Although Allen was the author of record, John Neal and Tobias Watkins wrote much of the text. Subscribers reputedly pledged $75,000 for the publication (ANB description begins John A. Garraty and Mark C. Carnes, eds., American National Biography, 1999, 24 vols. description ends , “Paul Allen”).
1. Manuscript: “spendid.”
- A History of the American Revolution (Allen) search
- Allen, Paul; A History of the American Revolution search
- American Revolution; books on search
- books; on American Revolution search
- books; on history search
- historiography; of American Revolution search
- history; books on search
- Hopkins, John; and P. Allen’s History of the American Revolution search
- Hopkins, John; letters from search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; subscriptions search
- Neal, John; and P. Allen’s History of the American Revolution search
- Watkins, Tobias; and P. Allen’s History of the American Revolution search