From John Barnes
George Town 4th June 1813
On mature reflection I have thought, your paying for those four years passed 8 per Ct Int—on Genl K—$4,500 (transferred to your a/c with him)1—without being Allowed—on that Accot the Amot of an extra premium2 and expences the Genl must have been at, in the purchase of some Other Public stock, that would immediately produce the like Interest, for Instance, the Bank of Cola a Virginia Bank and many Others are from 5—to 10 & even 15 per Ct—the ten shares—you may Recollect I sold of the Genls Penna Bank Stock—produced him 23 per Ct advance while his present Stock there now produces him 10 per Ct Annually—from all these Circumstances—in strict Justice, to either party—I must presume to say you ought to be Allowed at least the Amot of one years Int vz $360—in lieu thereof—nor will the Good Genls Annual remittance to be made be less than a 1000 dollars—as heretofore—you will be pleased to Reconsider these circumstances—and advise the Result
To Dear Sir—
RC (ViU: TJP-ER); dateline beneath signature; at foot of text: “Thomas Jefferson Esqr Monticello”; endorsed by TJ as received 9 June 1813 and so recorded in SJL.
genl k: Tadeusz Kosciuszko.
1. Omitted closing parenthesis editorially supplied.
2. Manuscript: “premiun.”
- Bank of Columbia search
- Bank of Pennsylvania; stock owned by T. Kosciuszko search
- Barnes, John; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Barnes, John; letters from search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; Bank of Pennsylvania stock of search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; remittances to search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; TJ’s debt to search
- Washington (D.C.); banks in search