To Jeremiah A. Goodman
Monticello Feb. 5. 13.
your letter of Jan. 12. never reached me till the day before yesterday. the ram of Merino blood sent to Poplar Forest is half blooded from a ewe of my Spanish breed. a full blooded ram lamb is never sold for less than 50.D. the half blooded generally at 20.D. but as my object is not to gain, but to benefit our citizens by enabling them to get into the breed, I have never taken more than 10.D. here for a half blooded ram. whether the trouble of sending this one to Bedford merits more you can settle with the purchaser & return him the surplus.
I have given mr S. J. Harrison an order for my tobo. what will require your particular attention is the stemming. I wish you to push that exactly as far & no farther than you would have done, if it were still unsold. we ought to do not only what is just, but liberal, in the case of mr Harrison, to merit his future confidence.
Mr Bankhead tells me they have raised the price of carriage of flour from Lynchbg1 to 150. cents. this is enormous. yet we had better lose that than the whole. send it off therefore with all possible dispatch at whatever price is asked, and drop me a line whenever you get off a boat load. on receipt of the first I will send an order to2 Gibson & Jefferson for enough to pay your debts, to be forwarded by post. I shall be in danger of losing whatever you do not get off this month. Accept my best wishes.
PoC (DLC); at foot of text: “Mr Goodman”; endorsed by TJ.
Goodman’s letter of 12 Jan. 1813, not found, is recorded in SJL as received from Poplar Forest on 3 Feb. 1813.
1. Preceding two words interlined.
2. Reworked from “send you an order on.”
- Bankhead, Charles Lewis (Ann Cary Randolph Bankhead’s husband); mentioned search
- flour; from Poplar Forest search
- flour; price of search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and overseers’ services for TJ search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); payments made for TJ search
- Goodman, Jeremiah Augustus; letters from accounted for search
- Goodman, Jeremiah Augustus; letters to search
- Goodman, Jeremiah Augustus; Poplar Forest overseer search
- Harrison, Samuel Jordan; buys tobacco from TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; sells tobacco search
- merino sheep; at Poplar Forest search
- merino sheep; TJ on search
- overseers; at Poplar Forest search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); flour from search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); merino sheep at search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); Overseers at; and sale of tobacco to S. J. Harrison search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); Overseers at; TJ’s instructions to search
- tobacco; sold to S. J. Harrison search