To Paul Hamilton
Monticello Dec. 25. 12.
The inclosed recommendation in behalf of mr Taggart as a candidate for a midshipman’s birth has already, I presume made it’s way to you through the channel of Capt Jones mr Patterson, mr Biddle Dr Rush Etc. it would be great presumption in me to expect to add any thing to what you already know of the merit of their recommendations. and yet, being personally unacquainted with the young gentleman himself I cannot justifiably say more than that their testimony would in any case leave no question in my mind as to whatever it should relate to. the known character of the father would also have it’s just weight, and I hope that his merit, known to me, will be a sufficient apology for my wish to gratify him by the communication of his letter to you. it is some relief to me that these intrusions renew to me the occasions of repeating to you the assurances of my high esteem and respect.
PoC (DLC); at foot of text: “The Secretary of the Navy”; endorsed by TJ. Enclosure: John Taggart to TJ, 20 Nov. 1812, not found, but recorded in SJL as received from Philadelphia on 17 Dec. 1812.
F. B. Taggart served as a United States Navy midshipman from 1 Feb. 1814 until his resignation on 4 May 1815 (Callahan, U.S. Navy description begins Edward W. Callahan, List of Officers of the Navy of the United States and of the Marine Corps from 1775 to 1900, 1901, repr. 1969 description ends , 532).
- Biddle, Nicholas; and naval position for F. B. Taggart search
- Hamilton, Paul (1762–1816); and patronage recommendations search
- Hamilton, Paul (1762–1816); letters to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Correspondence; letters of application and recommendation from search
- Jones, William (1760–1831); and naval position for F. B. Taggart search
- patronage; letters of application and recommendation from TJ search
- Patterson, Robert; and naval position for F. B. Taggart search
- Rush, Richard; and naval position for F. B. Taggart search
- Taggart, F. B.; seeks naval appointment search
- Taggart, John; and appointment for son search
- Taggart, John; letters from accounted for search