To George Hay
Monticello Sep. 30. 12.
The inclosed letter I presume is from the Commissioners for taking depositions in my suit with Scott, and I expect it covers mr Steptoe’s deposition, and an original reciept of the purchase money of the land, signed by Stith. Steptoe’s deposition is to shew1 the state of the papers in his office when he came into it, and to account probably for the disappearance of the original entry. this compleats all the evidence I propose to offer (with the papers I delivered you at Colo Monroe’s. these were a copy of my answer for the use of counsel, Scott’s letter & some other exhibits, Martin’s Griffin’s and Whittington’s depositions );2 and I have only to add my earnest request to yourself & mr Wirt that you will be so good as to force it to a final hearing as early as possible, that I may redeem my self with Harrison the other def. to whom I sold the land, and whose original answer was one of the papers I delivered you, which was to be filed in court. it is perfectly understood in Scott’s neighborhood that he wishes to prevent it’s ever coming to a hearing by every delay he can practice. I understood from him he had no depositions to take. Accept the assurance of my great esteem & respect
PoC (DLC); at foot of text: “George Hay esquire”; endorsed by TJ.
For the background to the inclosed letter, not found but probably from James Steptoe to William W. Hening, the clerk of the Superior Court of Chancery for the Richmond District, see TJ to Steptoe, 10 Sept. 1812.Neither steptoe’s deposition nor those of William P. Martin, Burgess Griffin, or Thomas Whittington have been found.The reciept is Richard Stith’s Receipt for John Wayles’s Land Purchase, 11 Jan. 1771, printed above at Archibald Thweatt to TJ, 23 June 1812.
1. Word interlined in place of “account for.”
2. Omitted closing parenthesis editorially supplied.
- Griffin, Burgess; and TJ’s land dispute with S. Scott search
- Harrison, Samuel Jordan; and TJ’s land dispute with S. Scott search
- Hay, George; and TJ’s land dispute with S. Scott search
- Hay, George; letters to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; dispute with S. Scott search
- Martin, William Peters; and TJ’s land dispute with S. Scott search
- Monroe, James; mentioned search
- Scott, Samuel; litigiousness alleged search
- Scott, Samuel; TJ’s land dispute with search
- Scott v. Jefferson and Harrison; TJ prepares for chancery case search
- Steptoe, James; clerk of Bedford Co. search
- Stith, Richard; as Campbell Co. surveyor search
- Whittington, Thomas; and TJ’s land dispute with S. Scott search
- Wirt, William; and TJ’s land dispute with S. Scott search