To William Eustis
Monticello Aug. 24. 12.
I take the liberty of adding the name of Nicholas B. Pryor of Tenessee to the probably long list of candidates for military appointment, and inclose the documents he has furnished me with as to his character, and a letter from Colo W. P. Anderson whom I suppose to be Colo of the 8th regiment, in which it is mentioned that there have been some resignations. I believe mr Pryor to be a young man of merit, and knew him while residing in a neighboring county. Colo Anderson’s opinion of his fitness is probably founded on personal knolege of him. Accept the assurance of my great respect & esteem.
PoC (DLC); at foot of text: “The honble Wm Eustis Secretary at War”; endorsed by TJ. Enclosure: William Preston Anderson to TJ, [n.d.], recorded in SJL as received from Nashville on 13 Aug. 1812, but missing, along with its enclosures.
- Anderson, William Preston; and N. B. Pryor’s military appointment search
- Anderson, William Preston; letters from accounted for search
- Eustis, William; as secretary of war search
- Eustis, William; letters to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Correspondence; letters of application and recommendation from search
- patronage; letters of application and recommendation from TJ search
- Pryor, Nicholas Ballow; seeks military appointment search