To John Vaughan
Monticello May 25. 12
I recieved your favor of the 1st two days ago only, on my return from a long journey which I take three or four times a year. I thank you for your care of Michaux, which came safe to hand. if you will have the goodness to put the volumes of Detutt Tracy & LeSage into the Fredericksburg stage, recommended to the care of mr Benson of the stage office there, he will forward them & pay expences.
I am sorry to hear mr Correa has suffered from the climate; and if at this season, I fear he has more to apprehend from the approaching one. he has spoken of a tour thro’ the country and flattered me with a call. if his habits are equal to it this may be of service. if the society of Paris hangs upon his mind, it is not to be wondered at by those who know what it is in the circle of literati.—I am here almost exclusively engrossed in rural pursuits, enjoying general health, but with the increasing weakness of years. Accept the assurance of my great esteem and respect.
RC (PPAmP: Benjamin Vaughan Papers); at foot of text: “John Vaughan esquire”; endorsed by Vaughan as received 1 June and answered 8 June 1812, with additional notation: “to send his things Stage.” PoC (MHi); endorsed by TJ.
- Benson, John; Fredericksburg postmaster search
- Corrêa da Serra, José; proposed visit of search
- Destutt de Tracy, Antoine Louis Claude; Élémens d’Idéologie search
- Élémens d’Idéologie (Destutt de Tracy) search
- Fredericksburg, Va.; J. Benson (postmaster) search
- Genealogical, chronological, historical, and geographical atlas (Las Cases) search
- Histoire des arbres forestiers de l’Amerique septentrionale (F. A. Michaux) search
- Las Cases, Emmanuel Auguste Dieudonné Marin Joseph, comte de (A. Le Sage); Genealogical, chronological, historical, and geographical atlas search
- Michaux, François André; Histoire des arbres forestiers de l’Amerique septentrionale search
- Vaughan, John; letters to search
- Vaughan, John; librarian of American Philosophical Society search