To Gideon Granger
Monto Apr. 2. 12.
I recd yesterday yours of Mar. 28. and I thank you for the information respecting the packages. they contain pamphlets stating the conduct of the Executive in the case of the Batture which I have had printed at my own expence for the information of Congress and the officers of the government. I directed the printer to send by the stage 144. copies to mr Magruder for the Representatives, and 35. to mr Otis for the Senate. he was also to send me 71.1 to be distributed to officers of the government Etc. he informed me he had sent me the last in three packages. I state this because you say there are five packages, and it is possible he may have sent the two for Congress with the three for me. those intended for me whether 3. or 5. I will ask the favor of you to have delivered to the Fredericksbg stage, and in such cases generally to do the same without troubling yourself to write a letter which is an addition to the labour of your office which ought not to be given. I write to mr Benson by this post to make an arrangement for paying the transportation of such packages always at that place. there was formerly a difficulty at Alexandria, by a change there in the concern of the stages. I hope that has been removed since the change of the road from the ferry to the bridge. I am sorry to be so troublesome to you, but I will endeavor to make these incidents as little so as I can. I salute you affectionately.
RC (DLC: Granger Papers); at foot of text: “Gideon Granger esq.” PoC (DLC); endorsed by TJ.
Granger’s brief note of mar. 28. from Washington informed TJ that he had “five large packages addressed to you and Sent to me according to your request” (RC in DLC; endorsed by TJ as received 1 Apr. 1812 and so recorded in SJL). The printer was Ezra Sargeant.
1. Reworked from “75.”
- Benson, John; Fredericksburg postmaster search
- Congress, U.S.; TJ’s batture pamphlet sent to search
- Granger, Gideon; as postmaster general search
- Granger, Gideon; letters from accounted for search
- Granger, Gideon; letters to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Writings; The Proceedings of the Government of the United States, in maintaining the Public Right to the Beach of the Missisipi, Adjacent to New-Orleans, against the Intrusion of Edward Livingston search
- Magruder, Patrick; clerk of U.S. House of Representatives search
- Otis, Samuel Allyne; secretary of U.S. Senate search
- Sargeant, Ezra; prints batture pamphlet search
- The Proceedings of the Government of the United States, in maintaining the Public Right to the Beach of the Missisipi, Adjacent to New-Orleans, against the Intrusion of Edward Livingston (Thomas Jefferson); sent to Congress search
- The Proceedings of the Government of the United States, in maintaining the Public Right to the Beach of the Missisipi, Adjacent to New-Orleans, against the Intrusion of Edward Livingston (Thomas Jefferson); sent to TJ search