From John Low
Washington City, Novr 29th 1811
I have sent you by mail, a Sett of the New Encyclopædia, published in Newyork, which a few years ago you did the honor to Subscribe to.— His Excellency Mr Madison, has also recd his sett for which he subscribed, at about the same time—I hope, Sir, the Books and Binding will meet your approbation.—Be pleased, Sir, to order a draft for the amount, on this city, which is $ 75.—I have carefully done them up, and hope they will arrive Safe.—With Sentiments of the deepest respect for your dignified character and Virtuous life, and with the principles of true Republicanism,
P.S. I expect to be in town for 8 or 10 days yet, and a letter directed to me, at the Post Office, will come Safe.—
RC (DLC); endorsed by TJ as received 22 Dec. 1811 and so recorded in SJL. Enclosure: The New and Complete American Encyclopædia: or, Universal Dictionary of Arts and Sciences … from the Encyclopaedia Perthensis, with Improvements, 7 vols. (New York, 1805–11); the first five volumes of which were published by the elder John Low, and the final two by his widow and successor, Esther Prentiss Low.
John Low (ca. 1790–1829), printer, was born in London, the son of John Low (1763–1809) and his wife Esther Prentiss Low, all of whom immigrated to America shortly after his birth. By 1796–97 the elder Low had established himself as a printer and bookseller in New York City. Upon his death his wife ran their printing establishment. The younger John Low worked in the family business until 1812 and then operated his own printing enterprise and bookstore (Sanford A. Moss, The Low Family of New York City Publishers, 1795–1829 , 1–4; George J. McKay, A Register of Artists, Engravers, Booksellers, Bookbinders, Printers & Publishers in New York City, 1633–1820 , 45; New York Public Advertiser, 25 May 1809; Longworth’s New York Directory description begins Longworth’s American Almanac, New-York Register, and City Directory. New York, 1796–1842 (title varies; cited by year of publication) description ends , 190; , 207; , 380).
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; works sent to search
- Low, Esther Prentiss (wife of John Low [1763–1809]); and The New and Complete American Encyclopædia search
- Low, John (1763–1809); and The New and Complete American Encyclopædia search
- Low, John (ca.1790–1829); identified search
- Low, John (ca.1790–1829); letters from search
- Low, John (ca.1790–1829); TJ subscribes to The New and Complete American Encyclopædia search
- Madison, James; and subscriptions search
- subscriptions, for publications; encyclopedias search
- The New and Complete American Encyclopædia: or, Universal Dictionary of Arts and Sciences search