From Robert Patterson
Philadelphia Novr 11th 1811
Presuming that you may not as yet have seen a little tract, by Doctor Buchanan, on “Christian Researches in Asia,” lately republished in Boston; and not doubting that you would find it highly interesting, I have taken the liberty of sending you a copy, of which I most respectfully request your acceptance.
Some time ago, inclosed I believe in A Nautical Almanack for the year 1813, I returned an answer to some queries you had made in your letter of Sepr 11, 11. respecting an Astronomical clock, and informed you that young Mr Voigt, an ingenious artist, would make such a one as you had described for sixty five dollars. If you should think this a reasonable price, & will please to give orders for having it made, Mr Voigt will immediately undertake it—
RC (MHi); at foot of text: “Thomas Jefferson”; endorsed by TJ as received 17 Nov. 1811 and so recorded in SJL. Enclosure: Claudius Buchanan, Two Discourses preached before the University of Cambridge, on Commencement Sunday, July 1, 1810. And a Sermon preached before the Society for Missions to Africa and the East; at their tenth anniversary, July 12, 1810. To which are added Christian Researches in Asia (Boston, 1811; Sowerby, description begins E. Millicent Sowerby, comp., Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Jefferson, 1952–59, 5 vols. description ends no. 1711).
- Buchanan, Claudius; Two Discourses preached before the University of Cambridge search
- Garnett, John; Nautical Almanac and Astronomical Ephemeris search
- Patterson, Robert; letters from search
- sermons; sent to TJ search
- The Nautical Almanac and Astronomical Ephemeris (J. Garnett); errors in search
- Two Discourses preached before the University of Cambridge (Buchanan) search
- Voigt, Thomas; and TJ’s astronomical case clock search