To William J. Harris
Monticello Oct. 9. 11.
On the reciept of the letters of mr Eppes, mr Giles & others in your behalf, I wrote to mr Hamilton, Secretary of the navy inclosin[g] them, and have just recieved his answer expressing his readiness to make out your appointment as midshipman whenever you will call for it. you have now therefore only to go to Washington, there recieve your appointment, and the instructions of mr Hamilton relative to your new duties. not doubting you will so fulfill them as to do honor to your friends & service to your country, I tender you my best wishes for your success & happiness.
PoC (DLC); one word faint; at foot of text: “Mr William Jordan Harris”; endorsed by TJ.
- Eppes, John Wayles (TJ’s son-in-law); recommends W. J. Harris search
- Giles, William Branch; recommends W. J. Harris search
- Hamilton, Paul (1762–1816); and commission for W. J. Harris search
- Harris, William Jordan; letters to search
- Harris, William Jordan; seeks naval commission search
- Navy Department, U.S.; appointments to search