From Levett Harris
St. Petersburg 11/23. August 1811.
I received, a few days Since, from the department of State, two letters recommended by You to my care for Professor Vater at Konigsberg & Count John Potocki, both of which I have forwarded to their respective addresses.
I have now the pleasure of inclosing You a little work which I am Sure will interest You; it is from the Same Mr Adelung, whom I have already several times named to you. The Success of this enlightened man in assimilating the Sanscrit1 language with that of Russia has certainly been happy, and will undoubtedly obtain him praises from the world of letters.
RC (DLC); at foot of text: “The honorable Thomas Jefferson Monticello”; endorsed by TJ as received 14 Nov. 1811 and so recorded in SJL. Enclosure: Friedrich Adelung, Rapports entre la langue sanscrit et la langue Russe présentés à l’Académie Impériale Russe (Saint Petersburg, 1811; probably Poor, Jefferson’s Library description begins Nathaniel P. Poor, Catalogue. President Jefferson’s Library  description ends , 14 [no. 913]).
Friedrich adelung became the director of the Oriental Institute at Saint Petersburg in 1823 (Raymond Schwab, The Oriental Renaissance: Europe’s Rediscovery of India and the East, 1680–1880 , 450).
1. Manuscript: “Transcrit.”
- Adelung, Friedrich; director of Oriental Institute search
- Adelung, Friedrich; Rapports entre la langue sanscrit et la langue Russe search
- Harris, Levett; forwards letters for TJ search
- Harris, Levett; letters from search
- Harris, Levett; sends book to TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; works sent to search
- philology; works on search
- Potocki, Jean; letters to forwarded search
- Rapports entre la langue sanscrit et la langue Russe présentés à l’Académie Impériale Russe (Adelung) search
- Russian language; works on search
- Sanskrit language; works on search
- State Department, U.S.; forwards letters search
- Vater, Johann Severin; letter forwarded to search