To Peter Derieux
Monticello Apr. 19. 11.
A little before the reciept of your favor of Feb. 25. the inclosed letter had come to my hands, and not knowing your residence I had forwarded it to judge Stuart at Staunton with a request that he would enquire for you & send it. as soon as I recieved yours of Feb. I wrote to mr Stuart to return the other letter to me. his absence from home delayed my recieving it, & my answering your letter till now. with respect to mr Mazzei I have not had a letter from him for a little more than a year. he was then well, & residing at Pisa. he sometimes talked of coming over here to marry & establish his daughter in this country. I rather considered this as a wish, than a fixed purpose. be so good as to present my salutations to mrs Derieux, & to accept yourself the assurances of my esteem & respect
PoC (DLC); at foot of text: “Mr Derieux”; endorsed by TJ.
- Derieux, Maria Margherita Martin (Peter Derieux’s wife); stepdaughter of P. Mazzei search
- Derieux, Peter (Justin Pierre Plumard); and P. Mazzei search
- Derieux, Peter (Justin Pierre Plumard); letters to search
- Derieux, Peter (Justin Pierre Plumard); TJ forwards letter to search
- Mazzei, Elisabetta (Philip Mazzei’s daughter); TJ on search
- Mazzei, Philip; and P. Derieux search
- Stuart, Archibald; and P. Derieux search