To Thomas Eston Randolph, with Account
Thomas E. Randolph in Account with Th: Jefferson
|1809.||May 15.||By balance on account to this day due T.E.R.||7.41|
|1810.||Jan. 1.||To rent of Lego for 1809||160.00|
|May 1.||To your note to Craven Peyton assigned me||201.49|
|To rent of Bunker’s hill for 1810.||60,—1|
|1811.||Apr. 1.||To 11. month’s interest on 201.49||11.08|
|By 18 Flour barrels deliver’d last year||7.502|
|Balance due Thos Jefferson||17.663|
Monticello Apr. 2. 11.
I now inclose you your note to Craven Peyton, and also your nail account which had been entered in our former account on which I observe the balance was in your favor 7.41 D now carried to the credit of our present account. this I have stated above as far as I am able, not knowing what the rent of Bunker’s hill was for the last year. this you can fill up and ascertain the final balance. Affectionately yours
RC (MHi); in TJ’s hand, with additions by Randolph; endorsed by Randolph: “Thomas Jefferson final Settlement” and by TJ: “Randolph Thos E. Acct settled.” PoC (MHi); lacking Randolph’s additions; endorsed by TJ: “Randolph Thos E. Apr. 2. 11.” Enclosures not found.
Randolph revised the account stated above as indicated in the notes below between 2 and 10 Apr. 1811, when he settled the account by paying TJ the final balance of $17.66 (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1265).
1. Amount added to RC by Randolph.
2. Entry and amount added to RC by Randolph.
3. Entry and amount added to RC by Randolph.
4. Amount added to RC by Randolph.
- Bunker’s Hill (Albemarle Co.) search
- Lego (TJ’s Albemarle Co. estate); rent at search
- Peyton, Craven; and T. E. Randolph search
- Randolph, Thomas Eston (TJ’s cousin); account with TJ search
- Randolph, Thomas Eston (TJ’s cousin); leases house from TJ search
- Randolph, Thomas Eston (TJ’s cousin); letters to search
- rent; due from T. E. Randolph search