From John Barnes
George Town (Potomac) 7th Jany 1811.
The time is fast Approaching when, it will become Necessary again, to remit the good Genl Kosciuskos—, Annual Balance of Int. and dividends. I am Anxiously expecting to be favored—as Usual his Acknowledg recpt for the £200 sterling remitted him, last year; hope no, unforeseen Accident has, deprived him of so Acceptable a supply. the Genls Bank dividend $312. recd in Sepr with the like dividend now due together with your present years Int. becoming due (1st April.)—would inable me to remit him—at least, another £200 sterling. Equal to $871¹⁰⁄₁₀₀—
—mean while, be pleased to favor me with Order Annexed (Copy.) on Mr Smith—for said dividend due—
with perfect Esteem, and Respect,
RC (ViU: TJP-ER); at foot of text, below subjoined enclosure: “Thomas Jefferson Esqr”; endorsed by TJ as received 9 Jan. 1811 and so recorded in SJL. Enclosure: TJ to Jonathan Smith, [ca. 10 Jan. 1811], directing him “to pay to the Order of John Barnes, the Amot of the half years dividend due and payable,—on Genl Thads Kosciuszkos twenty shares of Pennsylvania Bank Stock” (Dft in ViU: TJP-ER, in Barnes’s hand, unsigned and undated, subjoined to RC of covering letter, at head of text: “Copy,” at foot of text: “To Jonathan Smith Esqr Cashier Bank of Pennsylvania—Philadelphia”; not recorded in SJL; completed version, not found, enclosed in TJ to Barnes, 10 Jan. 1811).
- Bank of Pennsylvania; stock owned by T. Kosciuszko search
- Barnes, John; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Barnes, John; letters from search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; Bank of Pennsylvania stock of search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; remittances to search
- Smith, Jonathan; letters to accounted for search