From Charles Everette
Charlottsvill Nov 1 1810
CE did not know untill a few days past that Mr Jefferson had not yet reciev’d it—He requested as soon as he understood the a/c was call’d for, that the young gentle men in his shop should render it to the overseer—this it seems was done, but it was return’d by the overseer for alteration without the knowledge of C.E—& has never again been call’d for by the overseer—C Everette thought this explanation due & is sorry for any inconvenience Mr Jefferson may have sustain’d from this unintentional delay
RC (MHi); dateline at foot of text; with calculations on verso in TJ’s hand:
Charles Everette (d. 1848) practiced medicine in Charlottesville as early as 1798. He became an Albemarle County magistrate in 1807, represented the county in the state House of Delegates, 1813–14 and 1819–21, served on the Virginia Council of State, 1814–18, and acted as private secretary to President James Monroe, 1822–25. In 1820 TJ sold Everette his Pouncey’s tract, which bordered the Bellmont estate east of Charlottesville to which Everette had moved by 1814. He emancipated his slaves at his death (Woods, Albemarle description begins Edgar Woods, Albemarle County in Virginia, 1901 description ends , 189–90; MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , esp. 2:966n, 980, 1365; Leonard, General Assembly description begins Cynthia Miller Leonard, comp., The General Assembly of Virginia, July 30, 1619–January 11, 1978: A Bicentennial Register of Members, 1978 description ends , 273, 298, 303; Tyler’s Quarterly Historical and Genealogical Magazine 4 : 96–108, 405–11; 5 : 11–28; JEP description begins Journal of the Executive Proceedings of the Senate of the United States description ends , 3:412 [27 Jan., 11 Feb. 1825]; Albemarle Co. Circuit Court Will Book, 2:107; Albemarle Co. Fiduciary Book, 1:69–114; Richmond Whig and Public Advertiser, 10 Oct. 1848).
1. Manuscript: “to to.”