From George Jefferson
Richmond 11th June 1810
The nail rod which you have so long expected, and which was shipped from Philadelphia the 12th of last month, was only received a few days since. It was forwarded to day by a Mr Fitch, to whome we had to pay 12/. on account of the carriage.
I inclose you a note for your signature, with which to renew the one in the bank.
I likewise inclose you a letter from Mr Robertson of Orleans.—I received with it, a box, said to contain a map—that, with several other packages, I reserve for a safe opportunity.
The last note was filled up by Mr Gibson in my absence with 5800$.
RC (Mrs. Paul W. Howle, Richmond, 1944; photocopy in DLC: TJ Papers, ser. 10); at foot of text: “Thomas Jefferson esqr”; endorsed by TJ as received 13 June 1810 and so recorded in SJL; with notations by TJ on verso: “Dynamometer glass oil” and his calculation, related to the enclosed bank note, that 5,800 minus 5,657 equals 143. Enclosure: Thomas B. Robertson to TJ, 30 April 1810. Other enclosure not found.
A missing letter of 12 May 1810 to TJ from Jones & Howell, his nail rod supplier, is recorded in SJL as received from Philadelphia on 21 May 1810. SJL also records letters from TJ to Jefferson of 29 Apr. and 14 June 1810 and a letter from Jefferson to TJ of 2 July, received from Richmond on 5 July 1810, none of which have been found. TJ’s letter to Jefferson of 14 June presumably renewed his “note at bank for 5800.D. and not 5500. as ante Apr. 10. the difference being to my credit with Gibson & Jefferson. The renewd. note is June 19” (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1257 [13 June 1810]).
- Bank of Virginia (Richmond); TJ’s loan from search
- Fitch, Mr. search
- Gibson, Patrick; and TJ’s bank note search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and building materials acquired by TJ search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and maps acquired by TJ search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and TJ’s bank and promissory notes search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); and map of New Orleans for TJ search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); and TJ’s bank note search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); letters from search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); letters from accounted for search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); letters to accounted for search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; loan from Bank of Virginia search
- Jones & Howell (Philadelphia firm); letters from accounted for search
- Jones & Howell (Philadelphia firm); sells nailrod and iron stock search
- maps; of New Orleans search
- naileries; nailrod and iron stock search
- New Orleans; maps of search
- Richmond, Va.; Bank of Virginia search
- Robertson, Thomas Bolling; sends map of New Orleans to TJ search