To Jones & Howell
Poplar Forest near Lynchburg Apr. 7. 10.
Messrs Jones & Howell
I remitted you some time ago 200.D. through Gibson & Jefferson and I take measures by the present mail from this quarter to remit through them another sum of 100.D. until I could pay up one of the two quarters supply due, I preferred letting my nailery be without employ. this is their present state. I must therefore now pray you, with as little delay as possible to send me on a supply of two tons of rod assorted as usual, & a quarter ton of bar iron of the toughest quality, varying the sizes of the bars from the smallest to those large enough for large ploughs. I am not yet able to fix the epoch when I shall become more punctual. it is probable I shall have to get along as I can for another twelvemonth before I shall get my affairs under way with regularity. accept the assurances of my esteem & respect
P.S. a temporary visit to a possession I have here occasions the date of this letter from this place.
SC (MHi); endorsed by TJ.
Letters from TJ to George Jefferson of 15 Mar. and 8 Apr. 1810 are recorded in SJL but not found. The former enclosed $200 for Jones & Howell. The latter may actually have been dated 10 Apr., as TJ recorded in his account book on that date transmittal to Jefferson of an order from Samuel J. Harrison for £300, out of which he directed that $80.40 be paid to John Hollins for plaster and that $100 go to Jones & Howell for nail rod and bar iron. On 10 Apr. TJ also recorded sending Jefferson an order on Charles Johnston for $485.22 and instructing Jefferson to apply $2,500 in proceeds from tobacco sales to TJ’s $8,000 debt to the Bank of Virginia (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1253, 1254–5).
A letter to TJ from Jones & Howell of 16 Apr. 1810, not found, is recorded in SJL as received from Philadelphia ten days later.
- Bank of Virginia (Richmond); TJ’s loan from search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); letters to accounted for search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); payments made for TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; loan from Bank of Virginia search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; payments to Jones & Howell search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; sells tobacco search
- Johnston, Charles; purchases TJ’s tobacco search
- Jones & Howell (Philadelphia firm); letters from accounted for search
- Jones & Howell (Philadelphia firm); letters to search
- Jones & Howell (Philadelphia firm); sells nailrod and iron stock search
- Jones & Howell (Philadelphia firm); TJ pays search
- naileries; at Monticello search
- naileries; nailrod and iron stock search
- Richmond, Va.; Bank of Virginia search