To Eli Alexander
Monticello Feb. 7. 10.
Our lease witheld the right of clearing within the limits of Shadwell for a reason, well considered, that there is not now as much woodland on the tract as will maintain it in fences and firewood. it gives a right to cut rails & firewood leaving the smaller growth to supply it’s place in time, and being it’s only chance of supply renders it indispensable that that should be left, and the clearings no where extended beyond the limits of the eight fields. I observed on the Chapel branch along the public road side a number of large trees which had been felled, & left, sufficient to furnish much firewood. should you wish to clear this year for tobacco & can find proper ground on Lego adjoining to Shadwell I will at any time ride over for the purpose of agreeing with you on the place, on a view of it. I am Sir
PoC (MHi); at foot of text: “Mr Alexander”; endorsed by TJ.
- Alexander, Eli; letters to search
- Alexander, Eli; TJ’s dispute with search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; dispute with E. Alexander search
- Lego (TJ’s Albemarle Co. estate); and TJ’s lease dispute with E. Alexander search
- Lego (TJ’s Albemarle Co. estate); tobacco grown at search
- Shadwell (TJ’s estate); dispute over lease of search
- tobacco; grown at Shadwell and Lego search