To Jonathan Shoemaker
Monticello Feb. 6. 1810
It has been a sincere affliction to me to be so importunate with you on the subject of my rents, but my necessities; which I only partly explained to you, have forced it on me. I inclose for your perusal two letters recieved by the last mail, which will shew you how sorely I am pressed, and that the urgencies I have stated to you were really less than the truth. be so good as to return the letters by the bearer. at the close of this week there will be upwards of four quarters rent due. you promised me a considerable paiment from what was due you from the person who had purchased the stage line. I hope you will not fail me, & that it will be such a sum as will give me sensible relief. I have ceased to trouble you lately in the expectation that this resource would enable you to pay up arrears, and I do it now with infinite regret. I pray you to be assured of my real esteem.
PoC (MHi); at foot of text: “Mr Jonathan Shoemaker”; endorsed by TJ.
The enclosed letters recieved by the last mail were James Lyle to TJ, 24 Jan. 1810, and George Jefferson to TJ, 2 Feb. 1810, not found but recorded in SJL as received from Richmond on 5 Feb. 1810. The contents of the latter can be inferred from TJ’s action of 5 Feb. 1810: “The money due to Mrs. Tabb being called for, I have this day signed 2. notes of 4000.D. each to the bank of Richmond to obtain the money there. One would be put in on the 8th. inst. into the bank” (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1252). SJL records TJ’s missing letter of 5 Feb. 1810 to George Jefferson, presumably returning the signed notes satisfying his debt to Frances Peyton Tabb.
- Bank of Virginia (Richmond); TJ’s loan from search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); letters from accounted for search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); letters to accounted for search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with Shoemakers search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; debt to F. P. Tabb search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; loan from Bank of Virginia search
- rent; due from Shoemakers search
- Richmond, Va.; Bank of Virginia search
- Shoemaker, Jonathan; letters to search
- Shoemaker, Jonathan; TJ’s account with search
- Tabb, Frances Peyton; loan from search