To Erastus Granger
Monticello Jan. 23. 1810.
Th: Jefferson presents his compliments to mr Granger with his thanks for the two specimens of Indian eloquence which he was pleased to send him, & are safely recieved. they are both of a very high order of merit, & especially that of Red Jackett. he is very sensible of this mark of attention from mr Granger & of the kind sentiments expressed in his letter & prays him to accept the assurances of his great esteem & respect.
PoC (DLC); dateline below body of letter; at foot of text: “Mr Erastus Granger”; endorsed by TJ.
- Farmer’s Brother (Seneca chief) search
- Granger, Erastus; letters to search
- Granger, Erastus; sends Indian speeches to TJ search
- Indians; Seneca search
- Indians; speeches by search
- Indian Speeches Delivered by Farmer’s Brother and Red Jacket, Two Seneca Chiefs search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Opinions on; Indians search
- Red Jacket (Seneca chief); speech of search
- Seneca Indians search