To John Barnes
Monticello Aug. 25. 09.
By the last post I acknoleged the receipt of your last letter, & at the same time took the liberty of making a remittance through you1 to mr Peale. having occasion to send a light cart to Washington, & being in want of half a pound of Sal-Ammoniac, an article necessary for tinning our copper utensils, & not to be had here, I ask the favor of you to procure it at an Apothecary’s & send it to me by the bearer Davy who will call for it. the cost shall be answered with my remaining balance ere long. I salute you with affectionate esteem.
PoC (CSmH: JF); at foot of text: “Mr Barnes”; endorsed by TJ.
1. Preceding two words interlined.
- ammonium chloride (sal ammoniac); for copper utensils search
- Barnes, John; handles financial transactions search
- Barnes, John; letters to search
- copper utensils; tinning of search
- Hern, David (Davy) (TJ’s slave; b.1784); wagoner search
- household articles; sal ammoniac search
- Peale, Charles Willson; and expenses for T. J. Randolph search
- Randolph, Thomas Jefferson (TJ’s grandson; Jane Hollins Nicholas Randolph’s husband); expenses paid by TJ search
- sal amoniac (ammonium chloride); for copper utensils search