To John Barnes
Monticello Aug. 22. 09
Yours of the 9th was duly recieved. having occasion to remit to mr Peale of the Museum Philadelphia a sum of 49 D–5½ C and not being able to get any Philadelphia bills here, I have taken the liberty which your goodness has rendered habitual of inclosing you George town, Alexandria, & Virginia bills (50. D.) the only kinds to be had here, & of praying you to exchange them for a draught of the B. bank US. at Washington on that at Philadelphia in favor of Charles W. Peale, & to put it under cover to him, for which purpose I inclose you a cover. I write by this post to mr Peale to save you the trouble of a letter of explanation. ever affectionately yours
PoC (DLC); at foot of text: “Mr John Barnes.” Enclosures not found.
Barnes’s letter of the 9th, not found, is recorded in SJL as received from Georgetown on 13 Aug. 1809.
- Bank of Pennsylvania; drafts on search
- Bank of the United States; drafts on, by TJ search
- Barnes, John; letters from accounted for search
- Barnes, John; letters to search
- Peale, Charles Willson; and expenses for T. J. Randolph search
- Randolph, Thomas Jefferson (TJ’s grandson; Jane Hollins Nicholas Randolph’s husband); expenses paid by TJ search