To Samuel Smith (of Maryland)
Monticello July 29. 09.
By the last post I inclosed you a letter for St Petersbg and promised by this something for Paris. The Secretary of State’s letters will ensure every thing with Genl Armstrong. the people of the world with whom I was formerly acquainted are all swept off the stage. my correspondents there are literary characters chiefly, few of whom I personally know. I have selected Dupont for his friendly & fatherly dispositions for his knolege of every thing, & the good footing he stands on with every body, & accordingly inclose you a letter for him. I am sure he will be useful towards all useful pursuits. accept renewed assurances of my esteem & respect.
PoC (DLC); at foot of text: “Genl Smith”; endorsed by TJ. Enclosure: TJ to Pierre Samuel Du Pont de Nemours, 29 July 1809.
- Armstrong, John; TJ’s letters of introduction to search
- Du Pont de Nemours, Pierre Samuel; TJ on search
- Smith, John Spear; as secretary of legation to Russia search
- Smith, Robert; secretary of state search
- Smith, Samuel (of Maryland); and letter of introduction for son search
- Smith, Samuel (of Maryland); letters to search