From Charles Willson Peale
Museum March 21st 09
It was my intention in this to have given you the particulars of expenditures for & to Mr Randolph at my settlement with him on his departure, but I have a variety of bussiness that engrosses my whole attention at this moment, in my next I will do it. I write now only to acknowledge the receipt of your favor of the 10th Instant inclosing one hundred & fifty Dollars for the use of Mr Randolph on his return to the botanical lectures.
My son Rembrandt is now perpairing to return again to Paris to resume his labour of making Portraits of the eminent Characters in Europe to furnish my Gallery—I have given him the opportunity of painting to the number of 50, when that is completed, very probably I may be enabled to pay him for an encrease of Numbers. by this exertion I hope we shall possess a Gallery of Pictures equal in real Value to any in the world.
C W Peale
RC (DLC); at foot of text: “Thomas Jefferson Esqr”; endorsed by TJ as received 30 Mar. 1809 and so recorded in SJL. PoC (PPAmP: Peale Letterbook).
Armed with a special passport from TJ, Rembrandt Peale first traveled to Europe in April 1808 to paint a dozen portraits of scholars and politicians in Paris and Rome for his father’s museum. TJ provided a list of French worthies as possible subjects (TJ to Charles Willson Peale, 13 Mar. 1808 [PPAmP]; Peale, Papers, description begins Lillian B. Miller and others, eds., The Selected Papers of Charles Willson Peale and His Family, New Haven, 1983–2000, 5 vols. in 6 description ends vol. 2, pt. 2, pp. 1060–2).
1. Manuscript: “Randolp.”
- Peale, Charles Willson; and expenses for T. J. Randolph search
- Peale, Charles Willson; letters from search
- Peale, Hannah Moore (Charles Willson Peale’s wife); sends greetings to M. J. Randolph search
- Peale, Rembrandt; portraits of Europeans search
- Randolph, Martha Jefferson (Patsy; TJ’s daughter; Thomas Mann Randolph’s wife); greetings to search
- Randolph, Thomas Jefferson (TJ’s grandson; Jane Hollins Nicholas Randolph’s husband); attends botanical lectures search
- Randolph, Thomas Jefferson (TJ’s grandson; Jane Hollins Nicholas Randolph’s husband); expenses paid by TJ search