From John Taggart
Philada March 15th 1809
Your letter of the 15th Ulto I recd and acording to Your Instructions1 have Shiped the Oil and Lead on bord the Schooner Jane Benoni Jackson Master bound for Richmond to the Care of Messrs Gibson & Jefferson of that place She is Expected to Sale on the 17th Inst. You will find a bill Enclosed I wish the artickles may be pleasing to you—
RC (MHi); in a clerk’s hand, signed by Taggart; between dateline and salutation: “Thomas Jefferson Esqr”; endorsed by TJ as received 23 Mar. 1809 and so recorded in SJL.
John Taggart, a merchant at 7 North Water Street, Philadelphia, typically supplied TJ with paint ingredients (Robinson, Philadelphia Directory for 1809 description begins James Robinson, The Philadelphia Directory for 1809, 1809 description ends ).
TJ’s letter of 15 Feb. 1809 (MHi) requested sixty gallons of linseed oil and one hundred pounds of dry white lead along with Taggart’s bill.
1. Manuscript: “Instrutions.”
- building materials; paint search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and building materials acquired by TJ search
- household articles; linseed oil search
- Jackson, Benoni (master of the Jane) search
- Jane (schooner) search
- lead; white search
- linseed oil search
- paint search
- Taggart, John; identified search
- Taggart, John; letters from search
- Taggart, John; sends oil and paint to TJ search
- white lead search