From the Commissioners of the Federal District
George Town 25th. June 1793
FC (DNA: RG 42, DCLB); at head of text: “Commrs. to Mr. Jefferson.”
Andrew Ellicott’s new map of the Federal District, apparently the basis for a 1794 copperplate engraving, is evidently the topographical manuscript reproduced and discussed in Ralph E. Ehrenberg, “Mapping the Nation’s Capital: The Surveyor’s Office, 1791–1818,” Quarterly Journal of the Library of Congress, xxxvi (1979), 280, 282–4. For the old one, not found, see TJ to the Commissioners, 15 Jan. 1793, and note; and TJ to George Washington, 18 Feb. 1793, and note.