|Dr.||State of Monies Transferred to the United States, Out of the Proceeds of Foreign Loans64||Cr|
|Dollars Cents||Dollars Cents|
|To this Sum paid to France for the Use of St. Domingo65||726,020.||By this Sum drawn by the Treasurer on the Commissioners in|
|“ payment to France of 3 Millions of Livres pursuant to an Agreement with M. Ternant66||544,500.||Dollars|
|“ ditto for miscellaneous purposes paid to Mr. Ternant||49,400.||
|“ Instalment due to France, September 3d. 1793—1,500,000 Livres67||272,250.|
|“ ditto due Novem. 5th. do. 1,000,000 livres68||5,154,621.2.8||2,105,769.13|
|On which there has been paid||Dollars||178,879.35||By this Sum applied in Europe to the payment of Interest, for which provision was made out of Domestic Funds, and thereby virtually drawn to the United States, vizt.|
|Balance to be paid||2,620.65|
|“ Payments made to Foreign Officers69||Dollars||66,089.77||Interest from the 1st. of February 1791 to the 1st. of December 1793, paid and to be paid— Florins 2,940,790.13|
|Reserved to be paid||125,227.13|
|191,316.90||From which deduct this Sum remitted from hence||536,565. 4|
|“ This Sum expended in purchases of the public debt—Vizt.||Florins||2,404,225. 9||* at 36⁴⁄₁₁ d.||971,404.22|
|1793 February 4th.||Dollars||50,000.||Dollars|
|“ Do. 19||234,901.89||Treasury Department, December 21st, 1793|
|“ Septem. 2d.||50,000.||Alexander Hamilton|
|“ Instalment to the Bank of the United States70||334,901.89||Secy. of the Treasury.|
|“ Balance subject to further disposition||200,000.|
|577,284.56||* The precise amount of Sum thus paid for Interest cannot be definitively pronounced till the Completion of Settlements of Foreign Accounts now going on at the Treasury.|
64. Copy, RG 233, Reports of the Secretary of the Treasury, 1784–1795, Vol. IV, National Archives.
65. For the negotiations concerning the payments made by the United States to France on the French debt because of the emergency in Santo Domingo, see Jean Baptiste de Ternant to H, September 21, 1791; H to Ternant, September 21, 1791, February 22, March 8, ; Ternant to H, March 10, 1792; William Short to H, December 28, 1791, January 26, April 22, 25, May 14, June 28, August 6, 1792; H to Short, April 10, 1792; Gouverneur Morris to H, September 25, 1792; H to Thomas Jefferson, November 17, 1792; H to Washington, November 19, 1792; George Latimer to H, January 2, 1793.
66. See Tobias Lear to H, February 8, 1793; Washington to H, March 13, 1793; H to Ternant, February 14, 26, 1793; “Cabinet Meeting. Opinion on Furnishing Three Million Livres Agreeably to the Request of the French Minister,” February 25, 1793; Ternant to H, February 26, 1793.
68. This was an installment paid on the 1782 loan from France of ten million livres. For a description of this loan, see Willink, Van Staphorst, and Hubbard to H, January 25, 1790, note 3.
69. For a description of the debt owed to foreign officers, see Short to H, August 3, 1790, note 5. For the negotiations on the payment of these officers, see H to Short, August 16, September 13, 1792; H to Washington, August 27, 1792; Washington to H, August 31, 1792; H to Gouverneur Morris, September 13, 1792.
70. See note 4.